You've stored your e-bike somewhere warm and dry for the winter, and now it's time to dust it off for the first of your spring rides. Here’s a few things you need to check off the list to ensure your ebike is ready to go.
How to Prepare Your Ebike for Spring
- Inflate the tires and check the pressure. Your ebike has been in storage for a long time which means the tires have deflated from being unused. Properly inflated tires will ensure a smoother and more comfortable ride, protect against punctures, and improve rolling resistance, which uses less battery juice and increases your ebike’s range. Tire pressure varies widely depending on the tire, bike, so be sure to check the sidewall of the tire for the rating. Keep it in between the upper and lower range printed on the tire and adjust to your comfort!
- Charge the battery. Even if you charged it before storing, the batteries discharge when it’s not used for a long time. Remove the battery from the frame and charge it away from the bike for safety. Increase your range with our ebike battery charging tips.
- Clean your ebike. E-bikes are water-resistant, not waterproof, so do not use a power hose to clean it. You should have cleaned your bike prior to storing it so you only need to wipe it over with mildly soapy water and rinse it off with fresh water using a sponge. Dry it up with a clean rag.
- Regrease the drive chain. Make sure the drive chain is greased thoroughly even if you already did before storing your bike. Wipe off excess grease to keep dirt from clinging to the chain and ruining it. Here’s a quick video on how to properly lubricate a chain: Click Here
- Pump the brakes. Check the brakes for responsiveness by squeezing and removing the brake levers while looking at how the callipers move to the rim or disc. Check that the cables haven't slipped whether there's a pause or the flow isn't steady. If you need a minor adjustment, check out this handy video: Click Here
As always, if you are unsure of anything or need help, consult your manual, call your manufacturer, or bring your bike to a qualified local bike shop for service. Call 833-266-4432 for details on how to have your Cruiser Bike serviced at your location.
Ebike Care and Maintenance
Your ebike should be ready for any occasion, season, or reason. Always run a thorough inspection of your bicycle before and after every ride and apply the proper care and maintenance to keep it in top shape.